Lajes Airport Restricts Civilian Refuelling for Seven Days After Contamination Found in One Storage Tank — Only Emergency Aircraft Cleared, US Military Side Unaffected
Lajes Airport on Terceira has restricted civilian aircraft refuelling for the next seven days after contamination was detected in one of its fuel storage tanks. Only emergency aircraft are being cleared to refuel; the parallel US military fuel system on the base is unaffected.
Lajes Airport on the island of Terceira has restricted civilian aircraft refuelling for the next seven days after contamination was detected in one of its fuel storage tanks, the airport's operator told RTP on Sunday morning. Only aircraft on emergency status are being cleared to refuel during the period, with the situation under daily reassessment until the tank is cleared.
The civilian terminal at Lajes — operated under the dual-use protocol with the US Air Force base — relies on a separate fuel-storage farm from the one used by US military aircraft. As a result, the parallel American fuel system is unaffected and military operations on the base, including the recent Operação Fúria Épica refuelling traffic that has dominated parliamentary debate this month, continue on their own supply chain.
What Is Affected
The Azores' civilian aviation feeds Lajes through three regular operators — SATA Azores Airlines on the Lisbon and Boston rotations, TAP Air Portugal on its dedicated Terceira service, and seasonal charter flights from continental Europe. The operator has not yet quantified the operational impact on those carriers, but the standard mitigation is for inbound aircraft to carry enough fuel from their origin to complete the return leg without refuelling at Lajes — a practice the airlines have used before during fuel-quality events at peripheral airports.
For passengers, the immediate operational risk is twofold. Aircraft arriving at Lajes that cannot lift the return fuel on departure must either be repositioned to João Paulo II Airport on São Miguel for refuelling — adding roughly 45 minutes of flight time and ground turnaround — or have their return services consolidated. The airport said disruption to scheduled flights had not yet materialised by Sunday morning but warned that 'evaluations are being conducted daily and adjustments to operations may be communicated to airlines on short notice.'
The Contamination
Lajes' operator did not specify what contaminant had been detected, when the discovery was made, or which storage tank was affected. The protocol once contamination is identified in aviation fuel is to isolate the tank, draw samples for laboratory analysis under ASTM D1655 jet-fuel specifications, and treat or drain the contaminated batch before recertifying the tank for civilian dispense. The seven-day window points to a treatment-and-recertify path rather than a full drain-and-flush, which would typically take longer.
The US military fuel infrastructure on the same base — managed independently by the 65th Air Base Group — uses its own storage, dispensing trucks and supply contract under the Status of Forces Agreement and does not share dispensing lines with civilian operations. Pentagon refuelling operations supporting the Iran-related Operação Fúria Épica traffic continue as scheduled.
Political Backdrop
The fuel disruption lands at a politically sensitive moment for Lajes. On Saturday the Bloco de Esquerda Açores tabled a parliamentary request for clarification on the suspension of civilian refuelling, and the PCP filed a separate comissão de inquérito request on Friday 15 May relating to the Operação Fúria Épica fuel sequence. The civilian-side contamination incident is operationally unrelated but is likely to broaden the Assembleia debate on Lajes infrastructure already scheduled for the week of 19 May.